[Newbie]Prblm: Configure ATI Mobile M4 with XFree86 4.2.0.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Ola Theander wrote:

> Dear subscribers.
>
> I've recently upgraded to XFree86 on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop, hoping to
> solve a problem that sometimes occur when I shut down my KDE 2.2.1
> installation to get back to the shell. The problem is that KDE hangs and the
> items on the screen fades away in some strange graphics effect. It looks
> pretty much like burning paper. After this the KDE is totally locked. The
> only thing that helps is to turn off the power.

1. What FlashBIOS are you using ?
   Early ones were quire buggy, the latest A18 & A19 seems to have a problem
   with the fans. It probably pays to upgrade to A17 if you have an earlier
   one (I had similar problems with earlier BIOSes)

2. With respect to X modes: Dell offers atimp310.rpm, atimp312.rpm
   and atimp314.rpm which contains each a XF86Config-4 for
   various screen resolutions.

Cheers,
--
Ryurick M. Hristev mailto:r.hristev@phys.canterbury.ac.nz