[Newbie]Prblm: Configure ATI Mobile M4 with XFree86 4.2.0.

Dear subscribers.

I've recently upgraded to XFree86 on my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop, hoping to
solve a problem that sometimes occur when I shut down my KDE 2.2.1
installation to get back to the shell. The problem is that KDE hangs and the
items on the screen fades away in some strange graphics effect. It looks
pretty much like burning paper. After this the KDE is totally locked. The
only thing that helps is to turn off the power.

In a posting I received regarding the above problem I was given the
suggestion that I should upgrade my XFree86 server since this is, according
to the author of the letter, a problem with XFree86 and APM. Since I'm
running SuSE 7.3 Professional I downloaded the upgrade rpm:s from their site
and started the upgrade. The upgrade went fine as far as I can tell but I
have a problem with the XF86Config file. I've only managed to use the
generic vesa driver. If I try the r128 driver, the XFree86 server won't
start, complaining that there is no suitable screen. I figure that this
might have to do with the refresh rates and resolution settings.

I've generated a XF86Config file by running xf86config, using generic driver
options. Then I toggled the options regarding the driver to r128. The
problem is that if I use the r128 driver the server can't find a suitable
screen. If I use VESA everything seems to work OK. The only thing I change
is the driver name on line 370-371 in the XF86Config file.

The XFree86 configuration- and log files when the r128 and the vesa driver
respectively can be viewed by the following links:

XF86Config: http://www.nada.kth.se/~u1sx5mht/XFreeQ1/XF86Config
r128 log: http://www.nada.kth.se/~u1sx5mht/XFreeQ1/XFree86_r128log
vesa log: http://www.nada.kth.se/~u1sx5mht/XFreeQ1/XFree86_vesalog

Technical data for my computer:

Name: Dell Inspirion 8000
Graphics adapter: ATI Mobilitiy M4 (detected by SAX2 as a ATI Rage 128
Mobility MF) Memory on the adapter: 32 MB
Screen: 15" TFT, 1600x1200x60Hz recommended resolution.

I'm hoping that any of you out there can point me in the right direction.

Kind regards, Ola Theander