[Newbie]SiS 650 video

I've got a motherboard with SiS video, audio, e'net, and modem built in.
The video shares main memory. I believe the video is 650, but may be 630.
The o/s is Mandrake 8.1. When installing the o/s I answered "no" to test
the X config (it always fails to return from the demo screen). Once I start
the o/s and login, its fine. Never got the audio to work though.

Under 8.2 and Redhat 7.x, the o/s fails to correctly determine the
available memory and I get a kernel panic, so I start with "linux mem=192M"
and everything works, including the audio.