[Newbie]geforce2 xfree86 config help

i found linux drivers for nVidia cards on their website, it seems i have
to compile kernel modules?  anyway, i downloaded the NVIDIA_GLX file and
the NVIDIA_kernel file, but when i tried to compile the kernel file, i
get:

nv.c: linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory.

so now where am i?  do i have to do something to my kernel, or modules or
something?  apparently with these files from nVidia, xfree86 uses the
"nvidia" driver, instead of the "nv" driver.  i suppose i would settle for
getting either one of them to work...

please help