[Newbie]Re: a problem with a S3 video card

Would this by any chance be a Compaq Deskpro 4000?  Your problem seems similar to one that I had with that machine and its OEM version of the S3 Virge GX card which, as I recall, used the same chip.

The solution:  use XFree86 version 3.3.6 rather than 4.x.x.  Here is what worked for my installation of Redhat 7.2. (Posted Previously)

Regarding Deskpro (4000?) using S3 ViRGE GX.  I have just gone through the same experience.  I am installing RedHat 7.2.

My symptoms were a small, rectangular area that adjacent to the cursor, plus other annoying distortions.  I was using a SonyCPD 1304 monitor that was supported by RedHat..

I found the solution at "www.dsm.fordham.edu/~moniot/linux-compaq/".  With RedHat's help I was able to implement it.

The basic problem seems to be that the XF86_SVGA server doesn't support Compaq's (OEM version?) of the S3 Virge card  It is better supported by the XF86_S3 server which was also included on the RedHat distribution disks.

To implement I had to do the following:

Mount RedHat Installation CD # 2
Goto ...../RedHat/RPMS/ directory on CD # 2
rpm -ivh XFree86-S3V*      (Install the needed server on my hard drive)
Xconfigurator --expert --preferxf3 --server XF86_S3V      (Run the configuration program)

During Xconfigurator:
Choose the S3V driver during the Xconfigurator process.   (I think it was the next-to-last listed driver, but I could be wrong about both its name and its location in the list.  )
No preference for RAMDAC and Clock during Xconfigurator.

When it was done the Xconfig file contained entries for "My Video Card" in the device and screen sections.

At www.dsm.fordham.edu/~moniot/linux-compaq/ the author said a link needed to be added:
"ln -fs /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3V /etc/X11/X"

I didn't need to do this to get it to work.  I think Xconfigurator created the link as there is an /etc/X11/X file on my system.  (Of course there was one before, so I don't know for sure.)

One glitch remains:  After exiting Xwindow the command line text screen is garbled.  The author at
www.dsm.fordham.edu/~moniot/linux-compaq/  says there is a program, vga_reset, that will correct that problem.  I haven't been able to find that program, so I cannot confirm it will work.

If you know how to get vga_reset (supposedly included in Desbian Distribution) let me know.

Message: 6