[Newbie]using cygwin, xfree86 config frustrations

On Thu,  4 Apr 2002 17:24:00 -0600
lziarek@uchicago.edu wrote:

> hey,
> Here is the problem:
> I am using startxwin.bat to start up my xfree86.  the background is
> set by xsetroot -solid color  (as all of you undoubtedly know =p)
> but i cant do xsetroot -bitmap d:/path/picture.jpg to set a background
> xpmroot -bitmap d:/path/picture.jpg doesnt seem to work.  Anyone know
> what im doing wrong? How do you set the background for xfree86 using
> cygwin?! Thanks in advance!

Note:  this is not specific to Cygwin, I know nothing of that.

"man xsetroot":

       -bitmap filename
              Use the bitmap specified in the  file  to  set  the
              window pattern.  You can make your own bitmap files
              (little pictures) using the bitmap(1) program.  The
              entire  background  will  be  made  up  of repeated
              "tiles" of the bitmap.

"man bitmap":

       The  bitmap  program is a rudimentary tool for creating or
       editing  rectangular  images  made  up  of  1's  and  0's.
       Bitmaps  are used in X for defining clipping regions, cur-
       sor shapes, icon shapes, and tile and stipple patterns.

Nothing about JPEG.  There are other programs out there that will do
what you want, like ImageMagick and xv.  I'm using xli to put up a gif
on my xdm login screen.  It's a bit smaller and lighter than those, but
it handles a huge long list of different graphic and image formats.
Oops!  JPEG is not one of them, this is an old program.  Oh well.
There's another one called Esetroot that comes with Eterm that will do
JPEGs.  Might take a bit of effort to port to Cygwin, though, because
I'm sure it uses *lots* of libraries.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html