[Newbie]xdm/NIS/PAM problem

The following fixed a problem for jkinoshi@pcs.usp.br where the
xserver was not starting due to a "authentication failed - cannot
start X server - perhaps you do not have console ownership" problem.
I was seeing the same thing.

Here's the content of /etc/pam.d/xserver which you may want to try:

# auth 	  sufficient       /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
# auth    required         /lib/security/pam_console.so
auth     required   /lib/security/pam_permit.so
account  required   /lib/security/pam_permit.so

but it seems to no longer exist.

--Joel