[Newbie]X with NO desktop?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:13:16 +1000
Darren Ward <darren.ward@nttaus.com.au> wrote:

> So simply use the port forwarding X11 feature in say 'SecureCRT' on
> the Windows Client that also runs Hummingbird or similar?

I don't know anything about SecureCRT.  Hummingbird Exceed is the right
thing if the workstation has to be Windows.

> That's no problem I just need to know how what I have to do to allow
> the'server' to send x-sessions to the 'client'
> i.e. obviously X needs to be installed but does xdm need to be running
> etc etc

Hummingbird Exceed is all the X stuff you need at the Windows box.
You'll have to study the documentation for that, it's nothing like
XFree86.

> By client:
> A Windows Machine running X Software that will present apps running on
> the'server' such as OpenView etc etc
>
> By Server:
> A Unix Server running apps such as OpenView and Visual Traceroute that
> requires X to their displays in

You see where the confusion arises now.  X11 is a client/server
protocol.  The services provided by the X11 server are the use of the
keyboard, display, and mouse.  OpenView is a client that uses those
services.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html