From: Ted Spradley [mailto:tsprad@spradley.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 2 April 2002 10:50 AM
To: newbie@XFree86.Org
Subject: Re: [Newbie]X with NO desktop?

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:22:56 +1000
Darren Ward <darren.ward@nttaus.com.au> wrote:

> Well 99% of the time there will be no keyboard, mouse or video
> attached to the server and it'll be remotely managed, rebooted etc
>
> Last time I ran X on a server the window manager kept crapping out
> because it couldn't see any attached devices and so X wouldn't start.
>
> I'm trying to avoid that and avoid running a graphical interface on
> the client that I presume will consume resources I could use for other
> apps.

OK, that clarifies things.  What you mean by "server" is a machine that
provides some other services, but not X11.  It's not quite so clear what
you mean by "client".  You seem to mean a machine that has a keyboard
and display, but not a graphic user interface.  If you don't want to run
an X server on that client machine (the one with the keyboard), then you
don't want X at all.  Just use rlogin or ssh or telnet.  You have no
need to install X on either machine.

If I misunderstood, and you really want to be able to run X clients
(like xterm) on the "server" machine connected to an X server running on
your desktop workstation machine, then again, no problem.  You need to
install the X clients on the "server" machine, but you do *not* want to
run an X server on that machine.  You need to run the X server on the
desktop machine, and tell it to allow the "server" machine to connect to
that X server.  Then use rsh or ssh to start X clients on the server
machine, directing them to use the display on the desktop machine.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html