[Newbie]just X apps (no desktop)?

On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:12:03 -0500
Cheshire Cat <cheshirecat@covad.net> wrote:

> What I meant by 'desktop' is the window that XFree86 runs in.
>
> When I run 'startx' on command line (e.g. in a Cygwin bash process,
> kicked off by cygwin.bat), a large window pops up entitled
> 'Cygwin/XFree86'.

Oh!  You didn't say anything about running the XFree86 server under
Cygwin the first time.  I don't know anything about Cygwin, but the very
idea makes me queasy.  I find it difficult to imagine anyone being happy
with it.  Hummingbird Exceed seems like a better choice.  I've tried it
a little, and I personally was happier with my cubicle crowded by a
second keyboard, tube, and mouse, with Solaris, FreeBSD, or an old
Tektronix X Terminal.

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html