[Newbie]just X apps (no desktop)?

What I meant by 'desktop' is the window that XFree86 runs in.

When I run 'startx' on command line (e.g. in a Cygwin bash process, kicked
off by cygwin.bat), a large window pops up entitled 'Cygwin/XFree86'.  This
is different from eXceed in that when eXceed starts it displays a brief
splash then runs quietly on the taskbar - when any x app is started it
displays in it's own window which floats among all other windows, rather
than running inside of a larger window as is the case with XFree86.

The nice thing about that arrangement is that I can tile ms-windows apps
next to x apps.  I don't want a Linux-like desktop (cute KDE control
panels, etc) - I just want xterms and x apps (running locally or remote) to
play nicely with windows apps.  So again, the nice thing about that is that
I can work with Windows apps and x apps tiled side by side without having
this huge 1024x768 x-server window blocking out much of my Windows desktop.

The reason I like xterms over Cygwin's bash process because I grew up on
them. I prefer the plain 100 dpi fonts, select/paste functions, keyboard
mapping, etc. I could (and do) use some well made terminal progs like
SecureSRT.

eXceed is now up to version 7.1. I have 6.1 but I've been using XFree86
recently and just thought I'd ask whether it can be started in this
run-separate-windows sort of mode.

I installed KDE 2.2.1 just for fun, but it loads the cpu.  I tried XFCE
which is much lighter on the cpu (again, both running in the giant X-server
window) but their cygwin precompiled bundle was missing a lot. I've also
tried compiling their latest version, but now I'm realizing that cygwin
development environment is a bit weak  -  I can't get any of the following
packages to compile: GTK+, libiconv, glib, pkgconfig, etc. (not ported
versions - these are the generic Linux sources so they probably wont
compile without a bit of effort)

--Chesh

Ted Spradley wrote:

 > On Mon, 01 Apr 2002 13:20:44 -0500
 > Cheshire Cat <cheshirecat@covad.net> wrote:
 >

 > > Can XFree86 run as a no-desktop X server?
 >
 > It's not clear what you mean by "desktop" here.  You can certainly run X
 > with no window manager, try it.  Just start an xterm instead of a window
 > manager in your .xinitrc or .xsession.  I think you'll find that when
 > you start more clients, all the windows will be placed at 0,0 and you'll
 > have no way to switch focus among them or move them around.
 >
 > >  That is to say can it
 > > behave like Hummingbird's eXceed version 6.x, where there isn't any X
 > > desktop or window manager to speak of - X apps just popup onto the
 > > Windoze environment (I guess there's still a window manager, but it
 > > just manages each X window - not a desktop;  perhaps that behavior is
 > > due to an eXceed proprietary wm (?)
 >
 > I believe what's going on here is that window management services (focus
 > and placement) are provided by MS-Windows.
 >
 > What are you trying to accomplish?  I think you'll find that if you want
 > to run more than one client concurrently, you'll want some sort of
 > window manager.  There are some very small, simple, light-weight ones
 > out there.  I personally like Blackbox, but there are some that are even
 > smaller and simpler.  Look around at http://www.plig.org/xwinman/
 >
 > Also bear in mind that the window manager has no more need than any
 > other client to run on the same host as the server.  You can put your
 > window manager on any convenient host and start it automatically when
 > you log into the X server host.
<snip>