Re: AF_XDP xdp_umem_reg.headroom XDP_ZEROCOPY

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 10:16:15 +0100, papito favaro wrote:
> Hi all,
> I woulld like to understand if the behaviour i'm getting is correct.
>
> When I configure the XDP_UMEM_REG in zerocopy mode with a headroom ==
> 0 on a i40e,
> the driver (i guess) actually sets a headroom of 256.
> if i set a headroom == 256 the driver sets a headroom of 512.
>
> If this behaviour is correct, would be nice that the xdp_umem_reg
> struct after the setsockopt call would contain the actual configured
> headroom.

Kernel's XDP may require up to 256B (XDP_PACKET_HEADROOM) of headroom
this is for calls to xdp_adjust_head() which may want to prepend data.
The AF_XDP headroom is extra, beyond that.

Perhaps we should document that as expected behaviour?  (Does it hold
for ixgbe?)