Re: AF_XDP umem and jumbo frames?

> People on this list might not realize that there is a significant
> overhead in supporting larger that 4K frames for XDP, that is larger
> than one memory-page. So let me explain...
>
> It is actually trivially easy for XDP to support jumbo frames, if the
> NIC hardware supports storing RX frames into higher order pages (aka
> compound pages, more 4K pages physically after each-other) which most
> HW does. (Page order0 = 4KB, order1=8KB, order2=16KB, order3=32KB).
> As then XDP will work out-of-the-box, as the requirement is really that
> packet-payload is layout as phys continuous memory.

For the use cases of XDP_DROP or XDP_PASS, could XDP send as much of
the packet that fits in a single page up to the ebpf program and allow
decisions based on that?

For the flow bypass, ddos drop stuff, you only need the l3 header to
make the PASS/DROP decision, not the entire packet.

I suppose this would be a bit more complicated for modifying headers
and using XDP_TX.

--
- Justin