Re: AF_XDP umem and jumbo frames?

[not speaking for my current employer, but just from past experience ]

Certainly a lot of the 'hard' requirements (hard meaning - "without
this it won't work")  I've seen could be served with a ~3k non-full
jumbo frame.  But at least what I've seen in the past was that because
many of the host-side operations are per-packet limited (e.g., because
of CPU or RAM, but ultimately turns into a max pps per host), a
trivial way to increase application performance/reduce CPU for
networking was to run at as large a frame size as possible.  For
example, if your application/host is really pps limited, then getting
the frame size to increase from 3k to 9k means either 3x more
bandwidth for the same cpu usage (assuming the application is
bandwidth limited) or 1/3x the CPU usage for the same bandwidth (if
the application is not bandwidth limited).  Either way, IMHO it's a
pretty big win.

- Rob
.