Re: XDP on many-core NPU

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<brouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:00:04 -0500 "MD I. Islam" <tamim@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
>> <brouer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Hi Tamim,
>> >
>> > I think you are mixing up things a bit here...
>> >
>> > You mention a specific NIC (NPS-400) which have many cores inside the
>> > NIC.  You need to understand XDP is a software solution, where the
>> > programming language is eBPF.  XDP does NOT run inside the NIC, instead
>> > XDP runs as the earliest possible step in the Linux kernel network stack.
>> >
>> > The only NIC that does hardware offloading of XDP is Netronome[1], see
>> > their white papers[2].
>>
>> Hi Jesper
>>
>> I was looking at
>> http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/Massively_Multi-Core_LPC_2013.pdf.
>> It looks like the NPS-400 NIC also runs an embedded Linux itself. The
>> packets are processed by the embedded ARC processor. Packets
>> processing however is done at userspace. They also use DPDK-like
>> framework OpenNPU/NPS SDK to bypass the kernel. Is it possible to
>> achieve something similar to using XDP? Please let me know if I'm
>> getting anything wrong. I'm not sure if it is possible for me (a
>> third party developer/PhD student) to load a customized Linux on the
>> their NIC.
>
> You should ask Gilad Ben-Yossef (Cc'ed), if he can help you getting XDP
> working on this NIC? ;-)

The NPS-400 wasn't a NIC but a network processor designed for a router
and anyway AFAIK, Mellanox (who purchased EZchip) killed this product
line.
You might find their BlueField based NIC more suitable for what you want.

I no longer work for Mellanox :-)

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

"If you take a class in large-scale robotics, can you end up in a
situation where the homework eats your dog?"
 -- Jean-Baptiste Queru