Re: Bugbot for all kernel bugs?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2023 at 01:45:58PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > So, we can't easily do "enable for all the bugs" because the bot was written
> > with the idea that it would be invoked per-component. Is there a bugzilla
> > component (and a matching mailing list) that you have in mind for the bot?
>
> Ugh. :-/ Well, as you can see from a quick search like
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/?q=%28nq%3A%22noticed+a+regression+report+in+bugzilla.kernel.org%22+f%3Aleemhuis%29+OR+%28nq%3A%22I+notice+a+regression+report+on+Bugzilla%22+f%3Asanjaya%29
> we have to deal will bug reports for many different components. So it
> would be great if it could be enabled for all products/components, except:
>
> * all components from the product categories "Alternate Trees",
> "Backports project", "Documentation", "kernel.org", and "Tools"
>
> * "Bug Tracker", "klibc/kinit", "module-init-tools", and "Spam" from the
> product category "Other"
>
> There might be a few more that are obsolete hidden in the other products
> categories (like "PS3" in "Platform Specific/Hardware" or "lguest" in
> "Virtualization")
>
> Did I say "Ugh" already? Ohh, seems I did. :-/
>
> So how do you suggest to move forward

One of the main drives behind bugbot was to eliminate as many components as
possible and just let people file bugs under "Linux/Kernel". The "bug
wrangler" people would then do initial triage and set the "Subsystem" field to
match an entry from MAINTAINERS. Then, they would set the "bugbot" flag to "+"
and let the bot do the rest, fully bridging bugzilla with the mailing lists.

So, in my perfect little world we'd:

1. identify products/components that we can abandon right away and close them
   for new bug entry
2. identify the "bug wranglers" who can do the initial triage and grant them
   the power to set the "bugbot" flag
3. catch and fix the bugs

We can start with #1 if everyone is happy with this course of action.

-K