Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 12:24:23PM +0000, Artem S. Tashkinov wrote:
> > It can't, actually, which is I think is the crux of misunderstanding here. I
> > think what Artem is proposing is to *auto-create bugzilla accounts* for anyone
> > who shows up in MAINTAINERS, so that they can be cc'd on a bug report.
> > However, everyone understood this as "add these people as default assignees,"
> > which is not the case.
> >
> > If we auto-create accounts for MAINTAINERS, that would allow them to be cc'd
> > by an actual human being triaging bugs, but won't lead to any discernable
> > increase of bugzilla mail.
> >
> > Artem, please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Exactly. Only maintainers and mailing lists will be assigned
> automatically as it is _now_. Other developers need to be CC'ed _manually_.
>
> There's no SPAM issue or never has been about what I proposed. Absolute
> most people will never CC anyone 'cause bug reporters are normally quite
> lazy or not experienced enough to grep git logs.

It's still not a perfect plan, because this is what tends to happen:

1. someone is cc'd via the bugzilla interface
2. the maintainer responds via replying to the email and cc's someone else
3. bugzilla doesn't automatically synchronize the email Cc: fields and the
   bug's cc list, so any responses posted via the web interface don't go to
   people who were cc'd via email

Let me ponder what can be done about that.

If you're interested in helping to get the bugzilla product list into a sane
format, I can suggest that you work on creating a mapping file between
bugzilla product/component and MAINTAINERS entry, maybe just for the
"S: Maintained" and "S: Supported" ones?

E.g., starting from the top:

    3CR990 NETWORK DRIVER -> Drivers/3CR990
    3WARE SAS/SATA-RAID SCSI DRIVERS (3W-XXXX, 3W-9XXX, 3W-SAS) -> Drivers/3WARE
    53C700 AND 53C700-66 SCSI DRIVER -> Drivers/53C700

That would allow me to automate the creation of components *and* work on a
better email bridge than what bugzilla can currently do.

-K