Re: RFC: Github PR bot questions

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 11:52 AM Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You don't want to accept these contributions even if you won't be able
> to tell the difference on your end? But why? This looks really
> orthogonal to a person's expertise and proficiency in software
> development. Whether that's inability to deal with email, or no desire
> to spend time on that, or just personal preferences.

Agreed -- torvalds/linux may attract a lot of spam, but the LKML also
does. Any sufficiently "famous" repo/service/ML will, after all.

> On the other hand this workflow has the potential to ensure that you
> never need to remind to run checkpatch.pl, nor spend time on writing
> code formatting comments and re-reviewing v2 because code formatting
> will be enforced, etc. So I see how this is actually beneficial for
> maintainers.

Also agreed -- it is particularly useful to teach newcomers and to
save time for maintainers having to explain things. Even if a
maintainer has a set of email templates for the usual things, it takes
time vs. not even having to read the email.

Cheers,
Miguel