Re: RFC: Github PR bot questions

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 10:33 AM Jiri Kosina <jikos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2021, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
> > Please opt all subsystems I maintain out of this crap.  The last thing
> > I need is patches from people that can't deal with a sane workflow.
>
> I agree with Christoph. This (if at all) really needs to be on an explicit
> maintainer opt-in basis only (and I am not going to opt in with my
> subsystems :) ).

Hi Jiri, Christoph,

You don't want to accept these contributions even if you won't be able
to tell the difference on your end? But why? This looks really
orthogonal to a person's expertise and proficiency in software
development. Whether that's inability to deal with email, or no desire
to spend time on that, or just personal preferences.

On the other hand this workflow has the potential to ensure that you
never need to remind to run checkpatch.pl, nor spend time on writing
code formatting comments and re-reviewing v2 because code formatting
will be enforced, etc. So I see how this is actually beneficial for
maintainers.

For what it's worth I currently can't send emails with git because
Gmail with phone auth does accept plain passwords nor ASP. As far as I
understand proper two-factor auth would work, but phone auth is
different (kind of 1.5-factor). I know it's solvable, e.g. I can get
another account somewhere, but I don't see setting this up and
maintaining and checking a second account as a worthy time investment.