Re: RFC: create mailing list "linux-issues" focussed on issues/bugs and regressions

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 12:20:25PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:25:15 +0100
> Thorsten Leemhuis <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I agree to the last point and yeah, maybe regressions are the more
> > important problem we should work on – at least from the perspective of
> > kernel development.  But from the users perspective (and
> > reporting-issues.rst is written for that perspective) it feel a bit
> > unsatisfying to not have a solution to query for existing report,
> > regressions or not. Hmmmm...
>
> I think the bulk of user issues are going to be regressions. Although you
> may be in a better position to know for sure, but at least for me, wearing
> my "user" hat, the thing that gets me the most is upgrading to a new kernel
> and suddenly something that use to work no longer does. And that is the
> definition of a regression. My test boxes still run old distros (one is
> running fedora 13). These are the boxes that catch the most issues, and if
> they do, they are pretty much guaranteed to be a regression.

I think it depends on the user and the subsystem.  You're a
sophisticated user, but I've fielded a goodly number of ext4 "bug
reports" which were coming from a Ubuntu 16.04 kernel, or a user who
is seeing a block device issue (either a driver bug or a hardware
failure), or in some cases both.

A lot of these "bug reports" would be headed off at the pass if we
advertised:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/reporting-issues.html

much more heavily; assuming we can get the users to actually read it,
first.

						- Ted