Re: matrix.org as a replacement for IRC?

On Tue Jan 14, 2020 at 1:13 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> I'd never heard of matrix.org and don't have an opinion either way. I
> do find IRC useful. Proxies make it much more useful, and if I have a
> choice, I'd rather not pay $50/year to irccloud just for a permanent
> presence.
>
> I'd be interested to hear the details of your NACK, because they'd
> likely be informative and useful to me.

$50/year is offset by one fewer cup of coffee per month.

In any case, bouncers are not as necessary as they might seem. The idea
of an infinite backlog encourages you to keep up with discussions you
missed, which is a bad way of approaching IRC. Docs don't live in IRC,
projects don't live in IRC, tickets don't live in IRC - any discussion
that people shouldn't be fine with missing should be summarized and
forwarded to a more appropriate medium.

I use a bouncer mainly because IRC is such an important part of my life
that it's helpful for organization, and it's nice for people to be able
to drop me a quick note while I'm offline. Nice, but easily replaced
with email for anyone without a bouncer.