Re: SMTP settings in PHP 5.6.11

On 17/07/2015 01:06, Pierre Joye wrote:
hi,

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Good Guy <xfsgpr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has anything changed in PHP 5.6.11 to make all my SMTP settings not working?

I was able to set the SMTP settings in Joomla but since upgrading the PHP to
5.6.11, nothing is working.  It says this:

<------------------------------------------------------------------------->

        Notice

SMTP connect() failed.

Reminder failed: Failed sending email.

I have changed absolutely nothing in Joomla php codes.  All I have done is
upgrade the windows php binaries and also using it as binary CGI as opposed
to using php as a module.  Do you think it could be the change from binary
CGI to module settings might be the problem?

Just wondered.
No, we did not change anything.

What says the error logs?

I have just found that if you use php as CGI binary then SMTP settings in Joomla won't work because CGI binary by-passes php.ini file and .htaccess file. So the only way to make user settings is to use php as a module which can read php.ini file and other user files. Do you all agree with this observation?

There are advantages of using cgi binary directly (security is one of it) but user settings can't be made to stick and so in some cases this may not be an ideal situation.