SMTP settings in PHP 5.6.11

Has anything changed in PHP 5.6.11 to make all my SMTP settings not working?

I was able to set the SMTP settings in Joomla but since upgrading the PHP to 5.6.11, nothing is working. It says this:

       Notice

SMTP connect() failed.

Reminder failed: Failed sending email.

I have changed absolutely nothing in Joomla php codes. All I have done is upgrade the windows php binaries and also using it as binary CGI as opposed to using php as a module. Do you think it could be the change from binary CGI to module settings might be the problem?

Just wondered.