RE: Forms of debugging/variable tracking

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Kruger [mailto:jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 31 July 2014 10:11 AM
To: php-windows
Subject:  Forms of debugging/variable tracking

On my windows7 64 bit machines, am generally working using XAMPP, etc., and
now while still trying to disentangle other people's old code, am trying to,
possibly look into forms of debugging/variable watching while working
through large portions of code, etc. etc.

Anyway, found referral to/mention of xDebug, and entries in php.ini file
relating to it, but, not really sure how/if it's meant to offer any forms of
real-time debugging help, etc. etc.?

Now, know/understand that primary issue might be that things like
breakpoints/code execution pauses, etc., might not be simplest, and what
have done thus far is simply put together my own couple of functions to
include in various locations, to then just dump things like variable
contents/values into .txt files, to sort of scan through any changes, etc.,
but, was wondering what other suggestions/thoughts guys might have relating
to what might be feasible?

And, also seemed like eclipse PHP tweaked version might try cooperate with
xDebug, or something but am firstly not sure if have implemented xDebug's
correct implementation within XAMPP, and, secondly, I have never been
comfortable/done much with eclipse - any version, but anyway..?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
...Roger Wilco wants to welcome you...to the space janitor's closet...
--

I use a debugger DBG in a commercial IDE (PhpED) which is also available as
a stand-alone debugger in their TechPlatform package, never used it

I've read that XDebug is also very good integrated in Eclipse, no experience
with it but it's been around for quite a while now so no doubt it's slick
and stable. Worth giving it a try, it's great working with a decent
integrated IDE once you get the hang of it, better than the sum of its
parts.

Cheers
Arno