RE: URL rewrite

-----Original Message-----
From: Gavin Chalkley [mailto:gavin.chalkley@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 July 2012 10:08 PM
To: 'Vinay Kannan'; php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; phpexperts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  URL rewrite

Vinay,
This does make for better SEO

-----Original Message-----
From: Vinay Kannan [mailto:vinykan@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 July 2012 20:04
To: php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; phpexperts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  URL rewrite

Hello Experts,

I have a query on URL rewriting.

I have a site, which has categories and products under the categories. the
url has been re-written to hide the .php part of the pages, the page also
shows up correctly when we do type in the .php extension.
this is how a link shows :

eg : localhost/showproducts?category=fantasy&book=A Game of Thrones
I was thinking of getting the url re-written to localhost/fantasy/A Game of
Thrones
I think this shows a cleaner URL and could be better for the SEO too?
any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vinay
--

Is that right? I thought spaces in a url were to be avoided, replaced with
dashes or underscores or other sensible delimiter? Personally I think the

I also do url rewriting but have never been too sure about adding the
".html" at the end, currently I do add it, but is it really required? The
original reason I added it was to distinguish article pages from topic
pages, the topic pages don't have the ".html", though the article pages work
with or without the ".html" extension so it's more for an aesthetic reason
than anything else. Besides the possible need to distinguish between topic
and article titles, is there any SEO advantage to adding the ".html"
extension?

Cheers
Arno