Re: PHP 64-bit binaries?

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Pierre Joye <pierre.php@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PHP is slower in 64bit than in 32bit modes. Databases (be oracle,
> mysql or other) are another stories and many of them are faster.
> However one does not have to run php in 64bit mode to talk to database
> servers running in 64bit mode.
>
> Those are good points, but sometimes 64 bit php would make sense. For
example, what if I had a script that I ran from the command line that edited
xml files that were more than 3 gigabytes in size? Lets assume that this was
the only way to get this data, and this script was putting the data in a
database. I would not be able to do that operation in 32 bit php because the
entire xml file could not be loaded into memory.

The above example is more feasible then many would think (sometimes you have
no control over the format of the data you get). There are also other cases
where the memory address limitations of a 32 bit process could come into
play.

Justin