Re: PHP 64-bit binaries?

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Lester Caine <lester@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Keith Davis wrote:
>
>> From everything that I've heard, there is not much benefit to a x64
>>>
>> binary for PHP.
>>

> Running all 64bit including the database,

yeah, running the database servers on 64bit is a must, mostly because of the
memory limitations of the 32bit and the native 64bit int also has a
performance improvement for databases.
but we are talking about php here, not database servers, so that's not
really a valid point here.

> I'm seeing a reasonable performance improvement over a pure 32 bit set-up
> on the same AMD 64bit hardware using 64bit vista order of 10 to 15% faster.
> It was also worth pointing out that the same hardware runs a good 50% faster
> again on a 64bit Linux OS. I think this shows that the OS is the problem
> rather than the 64bit software, but the Linux OS does seem to use the
> multiple cores more efficiently. I've not tested both with a 64 bit version
> of Windows7, the full 64bit setup installed and ran, so I've not bothered
> swapping to all 32bit.

would be curious that what would be the performance differences if
everything else would be the same, so only comparing 32bit php to 64bit php.
AFAIR 64bit php is a little bit slower.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu