RE: getting started - need pointers

Thank you all for your input. Let me be specific about what this server
I'm building is to do. It's MAIN purpose is to use as a Bugzilla machine.
Bugzilla requires a database, a Web server, ActivePerl and a mail server.
The Bugzilla docs stated the preferred platforms as Mysql, Apache - and
along with that PHP needs to be working. I have installed hMail server as
the mail server although it has not been configured yet.

I HAD Bugzilla installed, MySql setup and configured, Apache working
through my firewall ActivePerl working - but no PHP.  When I went to the
PHPWEBAdmin directory via a browser, instead of seeing the index.php - I
got a listing of files in the directory.

Since I have uninstalled everything and am starting from scratch. I'm
going to try using WAMP.  I'm downloading and installing it right now. I
will then backtrack and make sure all needed modules and installed and
start configuring the various ini and conf files.

I hope I have better luck this time. But my knowledge level has climbed a
lot and I have a better understanding of what I'm doing - thanks in part
to your posts.

I'll let you know how it goes.