Re: RE: [PHP-DEV] Re: Win32 PECL pre-built binaries.

2009/4/29 Jeff McKenna <jmckenna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> http://docs.php.net/manual/en/install.pecl.downloads.php "At this time
>> the PHP project does not compile Windows binaries for PECL extensions.
>> However, to compile PHP under Windows see the chapter titled building
>> PHP for Windows."
>>

> Small world: that chapter "Building PHP for Windows" is exactly why I sent a
> message yesterday to the php-windows list asking where the most uptodate
> instructions are for building PHP with VC 9 on Windows (that chapter has
> broken links to the build tools, and the Wiki page,
> http://wiki.php.net/internals/windows/stepbystepbuild, is incomplete). So it
> seems we're in limbo for building!
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/

It seems like this isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

220 extensions which may have version specific external libraries and
each one needing to be built at least 20 ways (VC6/9, ts/nts,
5.0/5.1/5.2/5.3/6.0). That gives 4,400 build processes. Debug? 8,800
builds. And then more if there are different external libraries,
though I would hope that a version of a PECL extension would only run
with a single version of an external library. I don't know if the
dependencies are maintained in any easy way.

Compare that with PHP's handful of builds.

--
-----
Richard Quadling