Re: php-win-which-orm-tool-for-windows-with.html

See below

On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Richard Quadling
<rquadling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> 2009/4/14 Alvaro Carrasco <alvaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Sorry about not sending to the list, I found this post while browsing the
> > internet and i'm not subscribed to the php-windows list.
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> I'm trying to find an ORM tool to allow me to talk to Microsoft SQL
> >
> >> servers (V7, 2000 and 2005) for Windows.
> >>
> >> For those that use ORM, what do you use?
> >>

> > I'm the main developer of Outlet ORM and I currently use it with SQL
> Server
> > 2005. Outlet relies on PDO and I use the PDO_ODBC driver when connecting
> > SQL Server from windows. Here is the link to the project:
> >
> > http://www.outlet-orm.org
> >
> >> I've looked at Doctrine (requires php_pdo_mssql which isn't part of
> >> the VC9 win32 builds; for the VC6 builds, it requires ntwdblib.dll
> >
> >> which is oh so dead).
> >>
> >> I'm looking into Propel next. This now seems to be using PDO and
> >> PDO_MSSQL, so it seems I've got the same problems.
> >>
> >> Ideally, using the nice shiny Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Driver for PHP
> >
> >> from Microsoft (http://www.codeplex.com/SQL2K5PHP) would be nice. But
> >> this isn't PDO.
> >>
> >> Is there anyone capable of getting the Microsoft driver PDO aware?
> >

> > I'm planning on wrapping the new 2005 driver with a PDO-interface. In
> case
> > you're interested, I'll post my progress to the outlet mailing list at:
> > http://groups.google.com/group/outlet-orm
> >

> >> Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard Quadling.
> >
> > Feel free to redistribute this email if you want.
> >

> > Alvaro Carrasco
> >

> Thank you to Alvaro for this.
>

> Alvaro, will you be able to submit your wrapper to PHP so that it can
> become part of the core release? Currently, for VC9, there is no
> php_mssql or php_pdo_mssql (php-5.3-win32-VC9-x86-latest as at
> 2009/04/15 04:50)

Sorry, I meant a wrapper written in PHP that extends PDO but uses the new
driver's functions. Unfortunately, my C skills are not quite where they need
to be to write a PHP extension :(

I also just realized that the new driver uses the ODBC client for the
underlying low-level communication. Is there any benefit to using this new
driver as opposed to the PDO_ODBC driver to connect SQL Server?

Alvaro