RE: XDEBUG with 5.2.6, IIS 5.1, CGI

To try and understand why netBeans 6.5 (Build 200811100001) spins its wheels
trying to connect to xdebug, I ran sysinternals process monitor and included
only events wherein the "process name" included "php".  Rationale: I assume
that if I run a project from netBeans, or use Mozilla  to open
http://localhost/phpinfo.php?XDEBUG_SESSION_START=mysession, then php will
try to load xdebug, and that event will show up in procmon.  (btw, iwbn if
procmon would make it easier to filter out anything outside the time of the
first and last events in the current display.)

The expected xdebug events do not happen.

1.	Experiment 1.  Initially, procmon shows no events. Start the
netBeans debugger.

Procmon is populated with 2781 events for which the process name contains
php.

"find" finds 2 instances of the string "xdebug" in those events, both in the
"detail" field of a directory query.

There are 40 instances of "php5ts.dll", including a successful "load image"!
I thought CGI was non-ts; why is php-cgi.exe loading this?

2.	Experiment 2.  Procmon again cleared of events.  Mozilla opens
/localhost/phpinfo.php?xdebug_session_start=yada

Populated with 5685 events

Finds 2 instance of "xdebug", both in "detail" of directory query.

So it looks to me as though php is not <trying> to load "xdebug".  Why not?
Is my approach nuts?  (at this point.I am!)

Suggestions?  Is there some other way to figure out what's going on?

Herb

BTW, my php.ini settings:

zend_extension = C:\php\ext\php_xdebug-2.0.4-5.2.8-nts.dll

; Module Settings ;

;[Xdebug]

xdebug.remote_enable = on

xdebug.remote_handler = dbgp