Access Violation

I've installed PHP 5.2.6 ISAPI on Windows XP with IIS 5.1.

It works - sort of.  I get frequent 500 errors (IE) or  "Access Violation"
errors (firefox).  Often, I cannot open phpinfo.php even once after starting
the browser.  Once I get the error, I can (very rarely) fix the problem by
running synciwam.  Sometimes shutting down the browser and restarting it
works.  More often, I can shut it down and restart several times to no
avail.  Sometimes I give up and reboot (and it still might not work).
Sometimes (but very rarely) things will work fine for hours.

Basically, I see no pattern.  I've seen references to bugs in php that might
cause this, but not for 5.2.6.  Since success is so intermittent, I can't
really be sure if running synciwam is responsible for anything.

Does anyone have any idea how many poor souls are trying to run this
combination (5.2.6 + ISAPI + IIS 5.1)? (I got no responses to an earlier
plea; maybe no one is running this combination.)

Are there any clues in the hex address of the error?  Is there a way to
determine whether this is a PHP problem, or an MS problem - or my setup
problem?  I'm tending to think it is PHP, since I don't see how the usual
source of errors (file security) would be exercised differently when opening
the same site (phpinfo).

This is driving me nuts, and it's a very short trip.  Does anyone have a
suggestion (other than chuck XP - I'm kinda stuck with that on my desk)?

Thanks in advance.

herb