Re: Compiling error on WinXP

Marco Schuster wrote:
Hi all,

I currently try to compile php 5.2.8 on Windows XP Home SP3 (32bit)
with VS2008 Pro, as described in
<http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.building.php>.
Compiling runs successful and the php.exe works with cscript /nologo
configure.js --disable-all --enable-cli --enable-object-out-dir=..
--disable-ipv6
But, as soon as I add --enable-sockets, I get the following error at
linking stage:
Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08

flock_compat.obj : error LNK2005: _inet_aton already defined in
php_sockets_win.obj
   Creating library ..\Release_TS\php5ts.lib and object ..\Release_TS\php5ts.exp
..\Release_TS\php5ts.dll : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply
defined symbols found
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\BIN\cl.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

What causes this error and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Marco

PS: Can I build a static exe which contains everything needed except a php.ini?

The manual is sadly out of date - here are some corrections

You no longer need to rename the winres.h for PHP 5.3 or 6.0 (fixed in CVS)

The links for the windows build tools and libraries are incorrect. Windows build tools can be found at
http://pecl2.php.net/downloads/php-windows-builds/php-libs/binary-tools.zip

You do NOT need to build bindlib - instead get the headers and prebuilt resolv.lib files from
http://pecl2.php.net/downloads/php-windows-builds/php-libs
there are also other builds available on the site for up to date required libraries

For more up to date instructions please see http://wiki.php.net/internals/windows for more information on how to build properly on windows

P.S. no you can't build a single .exe unless you manipulate the generated makefile by hand before building - something you need to be well versed in MSVC compiler foo to do ;)