Re: RE: Word instance not closing after call to $word->Quit()

Hi Andi,

Andi wrote:
> Has anyone helped you so far?
> Looks like a reference counting problem in PHP. There were such problems
> in the past but they were resolved.
> I assume this happens with any COM object you are trying to open?

I haven't found a solution yet and currently use a workaround (create an html document and send a faked content-type header before sending the content).
I will have to find a way using WORD with COM because the business requires documents with watermarks, page counters, etc and that's just not possible with my current "solution".

To get back to your question: I tried a simple Internet Explorer COM call ...
[CODE]
<?php
$iExplore = new COM("InternetExplorer.Application");
sleep(10);
?>
[/CODE]
... and an instance of Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) appears in the task list and is automatically disposed when the script ends - I don't even have to call $iExplore->Quit();
Seems as if it is not a general PHP issue but has to do with Word? Do you have any hints for Office-Automation via COM or did you do some tests with different Office and PHP versions? If other versions are more stable, then I would probably have another version installed on the server instead Office 2003.

I will set up a small VBScript to call WINWORD and see if the instance will remain in the task list, perhaps this helps clarify the issue.

Thanks for helping!

Sascha