Re: there must be better way to handle "Null" undefined variables

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 10:24 -0800, Fred Silsbee wrote:
> if you read my original post you'd see that I already know this!
>
> I even inserted code to fix the problem. The problem is that the
>
> values of the variable THE FIRST TIME are undefined as shown by the code I
>
> inserted.
>
> I fixed the problem for one of the variables to make sure I perceived the
>
> problem correctly not being a html guru!
>
> The question is again "Is there a better way?"

If I write code that may be on a server I do not or can not control the
php.ini settings, I check for the existence of the variable before I use
it. This does increase the code size somewhat, but it makes the code
more reliable as well. If you are passing values through HTTP Post or
Get you will need something like this anyway to keep from typing the
super global variable name every time.

if (get_magic_quotes_gpc())
{
	// this should not be needed, but
	//some sites still use get_magic_quotes_gpc
	if (array_key_exists('my_html_var', $_POST)
		$my_html_var = stripslashes($_POST['my_html_var']);
}
else
{
	if (array_key_exists('my_html_var', $_POST)
		$my_html_var = $_POST['my_html_var'];
}
if (!is_set($my_html_var))
{