From: Niel Archer [mailto:not@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:01 PM
To: php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  PHP Mail 501 error

> Hello,
>

> We are running MediaWiki on PHP 5.2.6 with Apache for Windows.
>

> Every time we try to use an IIS mail server as an MTA we receive a 501
> error. When we use a Unix postfix based MTA it works fine.
>

> Could anyone please tell me what I need to do to modify my PHP.ini to
> get this to work?
>

> We have tried the workaround for Exchange 2003 as described in this
> article by Microsoft:

Hi

> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291828
>

> But this fixes a 501 in the HELO.  The problem here is the rcpt to. It
> comes up as the following:
>

>  2008-06-23 17:39:58 10.1.100.80 xxx SMTPSVC1 xxxx xxxxxxxx 0 RCPT -
> +TO:<DanMashal+<dmashal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> 501 0 27 44 0 SMTP - - - -

> Could anyone please provide me with some much needed insight on this
> problem? I have been searching the web and have found a few
workarounds
> but none that actually work.

>From the mail() documentation:
Note: The Windows implementation of mail() differs in many ways from the
Unix implementation. First, it doesn't use a local binary for composing
messages but only operates on direct sockets which means a MTA is needed
listening on a network socket (which can either on the localhost or a
remote machine).  Second, the custom headers like From:, Cc:, Bcc: and
Date: are not interpreted by the MTA in the first place, but are parsed
by PHP.  As such, the to parameter should not be an address in the form
of "Something <someone@xxxxxxxxxxx>". The mail command may not parse
this properly while talking with the MTA.

>From the example you show, it seems your problem is the last two
sentences.  i.e. "DanMashal <dmashal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" is not valid on
windows.

HTH