Changing/checking php.ini, and yet still the 'wrong' include_path

Hello,

I am doing some tidying, and so getting rid of the PHP that comes with
MapServer MS4W package - and replacing with a clean install of PHP5,
moving my root to the 'default' directory, etc, etc...

On a Windows XP 'test server' running IIS 5.1 (getting a 'proof of
concept' up for a client, 2003 + IIS 6 when they give me some $$ for a
server!   :-)   (and IIS as that is the company 'standard'...  :-)  ))

I got everything running OK with PHP installed as C:\php\ using the MSI
installed and IIS CGI...

All the PHP code seems to work just nicely that I have started using...
except when I tried to get PEAR up and going...

Ran the go-pear.bat as am using some of these packages in the web/PHP
pages already written and in use... runs fine at the command line (list,
install, upgrade, etc) BUT...

When I go to a web page that worked fine previously, I get:

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require
<https://192.168.0.15/function.require> ]: Failed opening required
'numbers/Roman.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\standard_format_items\bottom_navigation_bar.php on
line 21

As you can see the include path is wrong...

Looking at phpinfo.php, it and the extensions directory also show
C:\php5\ instead of C:\php\

 - C:\php\php.ini has the right include path

 - I checked that the Windows PATH was C:\php\

 - I had a look in the registry as per the manual install notes at
php.net and no sign of   \php5\ (although the keys they mention are NOT
there...)

 - did a couple of restarts, in case it needed to 'take'

 - checked C:\windows\pear.ini

Where the heck is this erroneous C:\php5\ and .;C:\php5\pear values
kept? And how do I change them?

Thanks in advance...

(and I would rather not change the directory name to C:\php5\, with all
that entails!   :-)  )

----------
Regards,
GREG COCKS