Re: Re: Executing External Application

Stut wrote:
Please include the list when replying.

hairtwoday@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Stut wrote:
Eww!! Eww!! and thrice EWW!! There is *never*, and I mean *never*
an acceptable reason to run a GUI app in response to a web request
- even on an Intranet.

*NEVER!!!!*

IMMHO

Bah.  Pure ignorance. Here's one reason.  I run Apache on my PC.  I
wrote a Php script that I run as a scheduled task to zip up a folder
once a day.  I used the WinZip command line interface.  It will not
run until I allow Apache to interact with the desktop.  Simple, to
the point, and it works.

WinZip is a GUI app. There are lots of CLI utilities for zipping - use
one of those! If you're doing this as a personal utility, why is Apache
getting involved in running a PHP script as a scheduled task?
Good point. I guess I needed to do that while I was testing the script through my browser. WinZip would not run if I did not let Apache (Php module) interact with the desktop. My cron job (errr ... I mean scheduled task) does run Php via the command line.

And I actually have switched to using 7-zip now, as it does not require interaction with the desktop. At the time I built this personal utility, though, Winzip was all I had to work with and it got the job done in a timely manner.

I see no point in questioning why someone wants to invoke notepad from a web page. It could be a personal utility like some of the ones I write for myself.
Here's another. I have a photo gallery script written in Php that triggers an Irfanview slide show. It's very efficient and simple.

Never come across Irfanview, but a quick Google reveals a GUI app for
viewing images. How is this useful for a web-based visitor?
This runs on my PC. I have a set of Php scripts that produce HTML photo galleries from folders full of photos and it requires user (my) interaction. One option I have is to create a text file of all the photo image file paths and then invoke Irfanview with that file to start a full screen slide show.
You're Eww, Eww, Eww and Never!! rules are just so much hot air.

Maybe in your opinion, which you are entitled to just as much as I am.
However, IMHO web-based appplications and GUI applications should not
mix. Ever.
I see no problem with the implementation I used. It is the easiest and most efficient way to view a slideshow of the source images I am going to include (or have included) in an HTML photo gallery. Irfanview is very simple to use. It reduces all large files to the size of the desktop and runs a completely full screen slideshow without any further effort on my part. It does require, however, that Apache (Php module) be able to interact with the desktop.
But that's just my opinion. If your use is not as a web
application, but rather as a way to start processes on your local
machine I would question why Apache needs to be involved at all.
The browser/server interface is the easiest way for me to to create a GUI on my PC - especially since I already have Apache and Php installed. I could resurrect my old skills in C and C compliers (makefiles), then tackle the Windows API (ugh), but why bother when I have these tools available and the knowledge to use them right now.

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO