Re: Configuration problem?

Quoting Bill Angus <mdangus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I have php installed and a working copy of phpMyAdmin, MySQL and Apache2.0.58 on a windows2k box.

phpMyAdmin works fine, as do a couple of other php scripts. However, when I go to try to code in php myself, I get a blank screen.

Make sure display_errors is turned on in php.ini (you may already have it turned on, but the correct php.ini file isn't being read; see below). There's probably an error in the script that isn't being displayed.

I downloaded zend-studio to try to see if I could trace the fault with my setup. The studio shows that I can do simple echo scripts -- but that I get the following error when I try to connect to the mySQL database

Debug Error: C:\Homepage\psychtest\private\search.htm line 13 - Call to undefined function mysql_pconnect()

the following call (from your php tutorial) also returns nothing.
echo $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

The zend studio debugger returns the following message...

Notice: C:\Homepage\psychtest\private\search.htm line 10 - Undefined index: HTTP_USER_AGENT

Am I supposed to insert a reference to a library of functions somewhere at the start of my code?

I was able to enter phpinfo in the zend debugger, and I noticed that the info returned was NOT the same as the settings in the php.ini file in my C:/php/php.ini file.

The first thing I usually do after a new PHP install is create a page that calls phpinfo, then browse to it. That page will tell you where the php file is located from which it's obtaining its configuration.

On Windows servers, I usually set up a the PHPRC environment variable to point to the php.ini file; take a look at this page (php manual):

http://us3.php.net/manual/en/install.windows.manual.php

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions you can provide. Have a great day!

Hope this helps,
Rick
--
Rick Emery