PHP 4.4.2 and MySQL 5?

I have MySQL 5 installed and running with several non-PHP applications on my
development server.  I am trying to install a PHP app that supposedly only
works on PHP 4 currently (not PHP 5).  So, I installed PHP 4 and everything
looks good there.  However, I cannot get it to connect with MySQL 5.

I have found a few postings online regarding this issue, but no solutions.
Has anybody done this and can you provide some pointers?

Thanks.