Re: SV: mssql tcp

Hi Jocke,

Well I work with PHP and MSSQL and I know a bit about the broblems too.
The library used to build the extension (msdblib) is not thread safe so if
you are using the extension on a hight trafic server under Apache or ISAPI
you might find odd problems. This has nothing to do with PHP. Using it
under CGI or FastCGI will remove all these problems.

Another solution would be to use the mssql extension with another library.
FreeTDS is providing an exelent replacement for msdblib. Look at
http://kromann.info/php.php. The download site on the right hand side
include this extension. It's called php_dblib.dll and it's a drop-in
replacement for php_mssql.dll. No recoding required.

- Frank

> It doesn't matter, the problem lies within php. To solve this problem
you have to use a client that usage pooling like ODBC -> MSSQL. So my next
step is to rewrite all mssql code to ODBC.

> This is not a problem if you run a small mssql server, buy if you have
over 100 databases with a lot of activity windows starts to act really
strange because of a bug in php. (read more in Zend forum)

> But who works with php and mssql? :-) (except me)
>
> //Jocke

IIS6,
> > PHP5, MSSQL2000. The problem is that the connection doesn't close
> > correctly so after a few minutes I will have a lot of TCP connections
> > that looks like this:
> >

> > (With "netstat -ap tcp")
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22953            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22954            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22955            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22956            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22957            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22958            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22959            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22960            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22961            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22962            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22963            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22964            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >
> >   TCP    w1new:22965            w1new:ms-sql-s         TIME_WAIT
> >

> > After rebooting and running a few minutes the list is full and
Windows