PHP 5.0 and MySQL Support

I've read a LOT of posts talking about the problems others are having
getting PHP 5 and MySQL to play nice with each other on Windows boxes.  I've
now found myself in the same boat, drifting aimlessly thru a sea of ^%$#.

I'm running PHP 5.0.5 on the Win03 server with MySQL 4.1.15

PHP is working fine, but I can't get a connection to MySQL working.  The
first symptom is that the MySQL "section" is not showing up in the phpinfo()
listing. The second symptom is the failure of the following code line:
$db = @MYSQL_CONNECT($db_server,$db_user,$db_password) or die ("Cannot
connect to database");

with NO ERROR message.  Despite reading tons of newgroup and forum posts,
I've not found the solution.

* The "extensions" for mysql and mysqli are uncommented in php.ini.
extension=php_mysql.dll
extension=php_mysqli.dll

* My PATH environment var is correctly set (c:\php5)
* the proper DLLs are in c:\php5
* the extension_dir config param is [un-necessarily] set to C:\PHP5 just to
be safe.

Has anyone out there solved this same problem?  Other suggestions?

Greg E.