RE: Breadcrumb trial as sessions

> 1. I need to have a flat folder structure if a user goes down a level
> the file will probably be in the same folder and will not be an index
> file.
>
> 2. The development server url will be totally different form the live
> url, so the breadcrumb trail won't work properly on both.
>
> Would it be possible to create a breadcrumb trail for the users session,
> recording the pages they were on as they move through the site, anyone
> know how this could be done?
>
> I know this isn't a consistent navigation, but if you have top level
> links, search/sitemap/a-z index support - isn't it acceptable to have
> one navigation interface which is customised to the users unique visit?

Breadcrumbs usually (or, at least, usually as I've seen them) represent
'specialization of information' (my own term -- there's probably a better
'official' term out there).

By that I mean they represent a conceptual path to content. For example, in
a site that reviews technology, a breadcrumb trail, when reading an article
about Redhat, might look like:

Home / Articles / Tech Articles / Linux Articles / Redhat Articles / Article
About Current Release Of Redhat

Even if the user clicked on a link on the main page that took them straight
to the article about the current release of Redhat, the breadcrumb trail
above remains relevant, since they've expressed an interest in Redhat, which
implies an interest in Linux, which falls within the broader scope of
technology articles etc. In this sense, the breadcrumb trail for each 'page'
can usually be almost entirely derived from the way in which you categorize
/ organize your content, and shouldn't require sessions to implement (well,
or at least, I've never had to use sessions to implement a breadcrumb trail
previously).

>From what you've written, though, it sounds like what you're trying to
implement is a 'page visited trail', though I think this would eventually
get confusing, particularly if a user visited a page, hit the back button,
went back to the article, clicked on a link that took them to some entirely
different part of the site and so on. It raises questions like, 'if a user
visits the same page or content 3 times, do I show that link 3 times in
their page trail? Is it more or less confusing, one way or the other?' You'd
have to take into account the fact that people often follow non-linear /
erratic pathways, and you might end up representing something like:

Home / Article / Home / Tech Articles / Home / Product Reviews / Monitor
Reviews / Home / Product Reviews / Search / Search Results / Article About
New Game / Home

Personally, I'd find that of little benefit as a user, but that's just me.

Murray