Breadcrumb trial as sessions

Hi can anyone help, I would like to develop a PHP breadcrumb trail for
navigation. The examples I have seen on the web look at the location of
the page the user is on, attempt to break up the URL and use breadcrumb
links to point the user to each folder level.

Problem:

1. I need to have a flat folder structure if a user goes down a level
the file will probably be in the same folder and will not be an index
file.

2. The development server url will be totally different form the live
url, so the breadcrumb trail won't work properly on both.

Would it be possible to create a breadcrumb trail for the users session,
recording the pages they were on as they move through the site, anyone
know how this could be done?

I know this isn't a consistent navigation, but if you have top level
links, search/sitemap/a-z index support - isn't it acceptable to have
one navigation interface which is customised to the users unique visit?

Thanks
Steven Price
Web Developer