Re: Re: Parsing a PHP file - Newbie alert

> Andrew Hargreaves wrote:

> >>Assuming index.php is in the docroot and it contains the phpinfo() call:
> >>
> >>Is this a local server and is the server actually running?  Try browsing
> >>to http://localhost/index.php if this is the case.
> >

> > I knew I forgot to add something. yes the file is in the htdocs folder
> > of my apache2 folder on a local server that is running, as confirmed
> > by checking services.msc
> >
> > As the file is on my local PC I have been opening it directly (File,
> > Open File), as opposed to using http://localhost/index.php. Could this
> > method have caused the problem?
>
> Absolutely!  It's a common mistake.  If you try to open a PHP file
> directly then your browser would have no idea to send the script through
> PHP.  But when you browse to that webpage on your local machine
> (http://localhost/index.php) Apache should do all of that work for you.
>   Assuming of course that Apache is set up properly; if it's not, then
> tell us what happened when you tried going to this webpage.

Ok, some progress has been  made but not in a good way.By browsing to
http://localhost/index.php, I receive the message "The connection was
refused when attempting to contact localhost", same for
127.0.0.1/index.php so I think I need to look at the DNS settings now.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Andrew