Re: Parsing a PHP file - Newbie alert

Andrew Hargreaves wrote:
First post here so go easy on me please as I have looked in as many
places as possible before resorting to this.

I have installed MySQL, Apache 2.0.52 and PHP 4.3.10 on my XP Pro PC
and have read through the installation docs etc to update httpd.conf
as instructed.

You're already ahead of the curve. :)

When I tried to run my first PHP file to show the PHP Info (<?php phpinfo(); ?>) the browser, Firefox 1.0 did nothing.

Assuming index.php is in the docroot and it contains the phpinfo() call:

Is this a local server and is the server actually running?  Try browsing
to http://localhost/index.php if this is the case.

If this is a live server on the web then try browsing to
http://your.ip.address.here/index.php for the server.  If that works
then try browsing to http://your.domain.com/index.php

Let us know the results of trying to browse to these web pages.  If they
don't work (i.e. you don't see PHP's info screen) then tell us as best
you can what happened.

I have placed the file in the htdocs folder as instructed. When I ran php -i from the command line, I got a html doc as I should have done, but still nothing in Firefox or IE6.

If PHP -i works then it's usually a server issue... try the first steps listed above and report back to us. At ease, soldier. ;)

Is there anythign else I should be trying to do or I can look at to try and resolve this?

Many thanks

Andrew H

--
Teach a man to fish...