From: Jason Barnett
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:38:51 -0500
Subject: Re:  Re: Parsing a PHP file - Newbie alert

Please keep email responses to the newsgroup / list.  Helps me stay
organized and I help out when I can.

Andrew Hargreaves wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:20:52 -0500, Jason Barnett
> <jason.barnett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>When I tried to run my first PHP file to show the PHP Info (<?php
>>>phpinfo(); ?>) the browser, Firefox 1.0 did nothing.
>>
>>Assuming index.php is in the docroot and it contains the phpinfo() call:
>>
>>Is this a local server and is the server actually running?  Try browsing
>>to http://localhost/index.php if this is the case.
>

> I knew I forgot to add something. yes the file is in the htdocs folder
> of my apache2 folder on a local server that is running, as confirmed
> by checking services.msc
>
> As the file is on my local PC I have been opening it directly (File,
> Open File), as opposed to using http://localhost/index.php. Could this
> method have caused the problem?

Absolutely!  It's a common mistake.  If you try to open a PHP file
directly then your browser would have no idea to send the script through
PHP.  But when you browse to that webpage on your local machine
(http://localhost/index.php) Apache should do all of that work for you.
  Assuming of course that Apache is set up properly; if it's not, then
tell us what happened when you tried going to this webpage.