Re: Rolling my own PHP Classifieds CMS system..

What sort of ideas?

Technology / methodology?

One of the Wrox press books on ASP (I think it is beginning Active Server Pages 3.0) has a section on developing a classified ad system in ASP and Access, but you don't really want to use that unholy pair to develop anything, however it could give you some ideas. There are probably some Open Source ones available which you could modify to suit your needs or depending on your timeframe, you could build from the ground up, keeping it simple and adding to it as you go along. Your best bet is to use small classes if you choose this route. PHP and MySQL are your best bet.

Technically this is the wrong list for this type of question, but from a business perpective SitePoint is a good source of info (they have a business kit that you can download free chapters from which will help u on the biz side). Knowing where to start is the big one, but first pick the technologies and research other site that are already doing this and then try to do it better. Hope this helps a little.

Rgds,

Michael

Jim MacDiarmid writes:

Hi everyone, I'm kinda working on a limited budget and wondered if someone could offer
some tips, pointers, ideas toward my project. I'd like to write my own
Classified Ads content management system initially for free usage however I
would like to eventually use it as a commercial service. Anyone have any
thoughts on this? Many thanks in advance,
Jim