Re: Re: PHP MS-DOS

Well.. I would kinda say it's a windows console app.. Normal windows apps
doesn't have the main() function, but instead the windows specific
winmain().. Dos apps used main() as well.. Now, windows finds the starting
address of the program somewhere at the end of the file I think (wild guess
though), while dos just runs it from the beginning or something like that..
They use different starting addresses anyway.. Meaning that one .exe file
could accutually be a graphical windows app as well as a real dos console
app.. I cannot confirm this, but I have a slight feeling I saw something
like that in some norton app to make backups of drives/partitions..

Dos 7 is 95, 98 and 98 SE afaik.. 8.0 is windows Me..

Now:
> - Would the filesystem functions work?
Yes.. well, unless PHP uses the windows optimized versions, but that doesn't
exist is linux so probably not a problem..

> - Would TCP/IP connections work the same?
No.. I don't think TCP/IP works at all in DOS.. There's no winsock there..
Accutually, I don't even think there's dlls..

> - Would basic int / string / float / etc. variables be stored in memory
the way that they are in Windows?
Yes, as long as you use an x86 computer newer than a 80386, and a C
implentation that doesn't do anything wierd with it..

> - Would system calls have input, output, and / or error redirection?
Dos includes STDIN, STDOUT and STDERR yes.. At least dos 3.x did.. :p

> - Is shared memory managed the same way as in newer versions of Windows?
Probably not.. 2 apps can't really run at the same time in dos (not like in
windows anyway), so shared memory probably isn't even a part of the OS..

--
// DvDmanDT
MSN: dvdmandt¤hotmail.com
<tg-php@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev i meddelandet
> I think people get confused when they talk about "Windows apps" and such.
I'm not sure that I can clarify things that much, but I wanted to point out
some stuff that might help people understand a little better.  Please,
anyone who has more intimate knowledge of this, feel free to correct me or
add to what I've said.

> When people think Windows, they think GUI.  So then you ask yourself, "Why
does PHP need a GUI if we're only trying to run it in command line mode?".
I guess one answer is that you really DONT need Windows, but in the
evolution from DOS to Windows there were some things done that were never
added to the older DOS-only systems that PHP requires.

> It's probably more accurate to say that PHP, even command line, is a win32
app.  This means that it's using some win32 calls/functions/whatever that
you can't get in a DOS-only environment.  Probably not even the DOS that's
installed on a bootable floppy created under a newer version of Windows (DOS
7?  They up to DOS 8 or so yet?  I havn't made a bootable floppy since
Windows 98 so I don't know).

> I havn't checked out the PHP CLI mentioned, but if it still needs win32
functions, then it's probably not going to work on a bootable floppy/cdrom
without something special to help it (or a recompiling to make it not a
win32 app).

> I did find a product called unWin that emulates win32 calls, but it looks
like you have to pay for it.  Still, if that's a hard requirement for an
application you're creating for a job or something, it might be worth
looking into.

> You can find unWin and unDos at:
> http://www.smxinfo.com/rtos/dos/undwinpb.htm
>
> If I screwed something up, feel free to correct me.  If you have more
questions or I was unclear, feel free to ask and I'll try to be more clear.