Re: Re: PHP MS-DOS

I think people get confused when they talk about "Windows apps" and such.  I'm not sure that I can clarify things that much, but I wanted to point out some stuff that might help people understand a little better.  Please, anyone who has more intimate knowledge of this, feel free to correct me or add to what I've said.

When people think Windows, they think GUI.  So then you ask yourself, "Why does PHP need a GUI if we're only trying to run it in command line mode?".  I guess one answer is that you really DONT need Windows, but in the evolution from DOS to Windows there were some things done that were never added to the older DOS-only systems that PHP requires.

It's probably more accurate to say that PHP, even command line, is a win32 app.  This means that it's using some win32 calls/functions/whatever that you can't get in a DOS-only environment.  Probably not even the DOS that's installed on a bootable floppy created under a newer version of Windows (DOS 7?  They up to DOS 8 or so yet?  I havn't made a bootable floppy since Windows 98 so I don't know).

I havn't checked out the PHP CLI mentioned, but if it still needs win32 functions, then it's probably not going to work on a bootable floppy/cdrom without something special to help it (or a recompiling to make it not a win32 app).

I did find a product called unWin that emulates win32 calls, but it looks like you have to pay for it.  Still, if that's a hard requirement for an application you're creating for a job or something, it might be worth looking into.

You can find unWin and unDos at:
http://www.smxinfo.com/rtos/dos/undwinpb.htm

If I screwed something up, feel free to correct me.  If you have more questions or I was unclear, feel free to ask and I'll try to be more clear.

-TG